Skip to main content

SAD in the summer?


I’m in a confusing place with my mental health. I’m coming off a go-get-‘em phase that the spring brought with it and am now in an over-committed, over-whelmed anxious place. I want to things, but I’ve gotten myself into a position where I don’t know where to start so it’s easier not to do anything.

As a matter of fact, “blog” has been on my to-do lists for weeks.

I knew what I wanted to write about.  I’ve been writing this post in my head for 10 days.  But the idea of grabbing my computer and actually writing it all down was a step too far for me to take.

It’s a confusing place to be aware of what’s happening and why it’s happening but having no real desire to make changes to help. During the spring, when I was in an Up mood, I thought about doing a bit of research so I could be better armed with information when the next Down mood came.  I was not expecting the Down mood to come so soon.

Having not done deeper research, I didn’t know that a Down mood would come so soon.

It isn’t as bad as it is in the winter. I’m not sleeping in until noon or later on my days off and then going back to bed at 10 pm. I’m not living on caffeine and pizza. I’m not staring blankly at the TV.

I’m waking up with my alarm, but not really getting up unless I have to. I’m not putting off washing my hair. I’m eating vegetables regularly. But the motivation is severely lacking. If it’s something that must be done, I put it off for as long as possible before I do it.

I’ve talked to family members with diagnosed depression about what I’m feeling. I am open about it (thanks to a group of friends and celebrities who have been so open about what they’re working with). I’m not sure what my next move is.

Part of me thinks maybe taking St. John’s Wort and seeing how that goes. I’ve had family recommend that.

I don’t think my issues are severe enough to see a therapist. I’m not against traditional therapy. I’m just… I don’t know how to describe it. I guess I feel like my symptoms are minor enough that I should take care of it myself? I don’t know.

Like I said, it’s weird to know what’s going on but have no control over it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night...

Apple Cider Vinegar- Week 1

I did not go into this ACV experiment looking for a miracle drink. I was hoping for something to help me on my journey. There's not a big difference to report, but it's only been one week. I've also gotten my butt in gear in other aspects so I can't give ACV the sole credit for what I've found, but it very well may be part of it. Here's this week's break down. The routine: 1Tbs ACV, 1 Tbs lemon juice, generous squirt of honey and 12 oz water drunk twice daily. It's the first thing I drink when I wake up and I drink a second glass right after dinner. 1- Weight loss of one pound. That's more than I've managed to drop in a single week for a month now, so that's good. 2- Noticeable reduction of mucus. I'm that nerdy Daniel Jackson type who is always sneezing and blowing my nose.... not this week! I've had these types of results with lemon juice before so I'm 99% sure this is due to the drink. 3- Noticeable lack of craving...

Kickboxing Class Number 1 Review

Last night was my first kickboxing class at my local ilovekickboxing.com studio. My legs hurt today in all the best ways. I adored class and you better believe I signed up for a one-year membership before I left the studio. The one downside is the price of membership and how the company tends to keep it under wraps for the most part. When I sighed up for their internet special (5 Classes for $19.99 plus a pair of boxing gloves) I started scouting their website to check membership pricing. They are up front about the “After your first class we’ll show you how to save $100 on membership!”- so you know after class it’s time for the hard sell, but it’s not advertised on their website what you’re saving $100 on. I did some digging and googling and found the structure of membership. Being armed with that info when I went in and having time to discuss the membership costs with my husband beforehand, I was comfortable with the hard sell approach and there was no sticker shock. Here’...