Skip to main content

Prepping for a New Year

So, um, yeah, November has come and gone. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Things have been busy in my neck of the woods. I’m still adjusting to working full time again after nearly a year of part time employment, of course, the holidays have arrived, and last month was also NaNoWriMo!

National Novel Writing Month is an international annual challenge to write 50,000 original words (the average length of a novel) in the month of November. I did the challenge last year and failed miserably, not even making it half way to my goal. This year, however, at 9:00 pm on November 30 (the deadline is midnight) I submitted 50,075 words written in November! I was super stoked to be able to meet the challenge! I was that crazy person in the breakroom at work with my laptop, I tippy-tapped away on the keys while at home watching TV with the hubby, and on one particularly productive day off I wrote over 7,000 words while doing laundry and meal prep.

I ended up with two short stories and the beginnings of a novel. I’m not 100% on where this novel is going to go, but I’m liking it so far. I’m solidly into the beginning and just need a good conflict to round out the underlying narrative. So, even though I failed at Blogtober, it did serve its true purpose- it got me into a writing groove and hell yeah, I won NaNoWriMo!

Now I’m continuing to work on the novel and am gearing up for 2018. Also, I’m reflecting on 2017.

I’ve made great strides in my health goals. Ultimately, I want to shed 70 pounds and get to a healthy weight. So far, I’m 23 pounds down 47 pounds to go. Considering I’ve made the 23 pounds go away only half-assing my attempts (I’m still stuck in the I can either eat well or exercise but not both at the same time cycle) I’m hoping I can get the other 50 to go hang out with their unwanted buddies over the course of 2018. I just have to get back to actively working at it. Now that I’m several months into working full time, my energy levels have figured themselves out and my body is used to the manual labor part of the job.

Things are finally starting to balance out at casa de fatnerd. We’ve got out employment, our finances, and plans under control for the first time in almost three years. For the first time since we met hubby and I are both happy with our jobs, we’re able to go out and do fun things and not worry about paying the bills, we are comfortable. It’s nice to get to taste the first crop of fruit from our labors.

Today I’m getting some writing done, getting caught up with you guys, and starting an action plan for the coming year. I’m hoping to keep riding this wave of good fortune and make some positive changes happen.

Here’s to 2018 and some more challenges to win!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night...

Apple Cider Vinegar- Week 1

I did not go into this ACV experiment looking for a miracle drink. I was hoping for something to help me on my journey. There's not a big difference to report, but it's only been one week. I've also gotten my butt in gear in other aspects so I can't give ACV the sole credit for what I've found, but it very well may be part of it. Here's this week's break down. The routine: 1Tbs ACV, 1 Tbs lemon juice, generous squirt of honey and 12 oz water drunk twice daily. It's the first thing I drink when I wake up and I drink a second glass right after dinner. 1- Weight loss of one pound. That's more than I've managed to drop in a single week for a month now, so that's good. 2- Noticeable reduction of mucus. I'm that nerdy Daniel Jackson type who is always sneezing and blowing my nose.... not this week! I've had these types of results with lemon juice before so I'm 99% sure this is due to the drink. 3- Noticeable lack of craving...

Blogtober #1: All About Me

Blogtober #1 I’m going to give this Blogtober thing a chance. I’ve never done anything like this, but- as I stated in my last post- I’m trying to get a new routine going. Part of what I want to do is write more consistently, so Blogtober is a great place to start! This is a challenge issued by Mandi Morrison over at hexmumblog.com . She has compiled a list of topics, one for each day of October, and the point is to blog every day using the topic as a prompt. Day One: All About Me I always feel like there’s not a whole lot to say on this topic. I don’t really know why, but I always get uncomfortable when people want me to talk about me. I know that sounds counter-intuitive when I’m here writing a blog about myself, but the anonymity of the internet helps. I can think of two people in my real life that even know this blog exists. One I know for sure doesn’t read it and one I’m not sure. For some reason knowing that people I know may read this makes it harder for me to write ...