Skip to main content

Luna's Fund- Gratitude and Humility

I've already mentioned how the Hogwarts Running Club got me out and running again. The club's main focus is charitable fundraising through running. Every year there are six virtual races of varying distances and there are special medals for each race. When you register for a race, you're paying for your medal, but mostly contributing to the charity that the race is supporting.

Right now we are doing the Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody Constant Vigilance 5k in support of Limbs for Life. I think the HRC website explains the connection between Mad-Eye and Limbs for life the best:

"Moody never let his injuries stop him. Moody fought in both the First and Second Wizarding Wars and captured many dark witches and wizards, but at a cost. He lost a leg, an eye and part of his nose in carrying out his duties as an Auror for the Ministry of Magic. It is in this spirit, we are thrilled to announce that proceeds from this event will go to support the Limbs for Life Foundation. A typical prosthetic leg can cost tens of thousands of dollars and many insurance companies will only pay for ONE prosthetic leg in a lifetime. But like everything, these legs wear out over time. You wouldn’t be able to wear the same pair of shoes for your entire life! Limbs for Life provides free prosthetic legs to those who cannot afford them or who have used up what insurance or their state health agencies can provide. This incredible organization utilizes gently-used prosthetic legs and parts in conjunction with prosthetic clinics and skilled clinicians nationwide to provide freedom and mobility to hundreds of amputees every year. Please visit limbsforlife.org to learn more about what your donation will accomplish!" (www.hogwartsrunningclub.org)

I am super excited to be running this race and highlighting this awesome charity. But, I am also humbled and grateful to my fellow HRC runners. Right now my husband and I are watching our dollars and races are not in the budget. I'm not the only one in this situation in the club. Many others are able to register and then do something awesome, contribute to Luna's Fund and sponsor someone who cannot afford to enter the race. When it came up in conversation in my common room that I couldn't do the race right now one of the administrators sent me the link to Luna's Fund to apply. I decided it was worth a go and applied for sponsorship. I found out this morning that I have been sponsored!

I think it's amazing that this group of people, while raising money for charity, want to make sure that all members get to participate and be part of the group. There is never any pressure to be a "real" runner. Everyone is welcome. However you get your miles for the team you are appreciated and celebrated. If you run all the races or none of the races, you are part of the team. If you wear only HRC gear or just your fav gear from Walmart you are part of the team. And, if you can't afford to participate right now and wish you could... we have your back. I don't know who paid for my registration and they don't know that I asked for it. Luna's Fund is as anonymous as the recipient wishes. Some people feel comfortable giving public thanks in the Great Hall or their common room. Some people don't say a word and just run their race.

I love this. I've never been one to ask for help because I'm conscious that there are many people out there have it much worse than I do.

So, here's the plan: When I am able I will sponsor a runner at least twice a year from here on out. One person as a thanks to whoever donated for me and one to pay it forward.

Comments

  1. I love running with HRC...super supportive group and such fun medals and themes! My favorite every year is platform 9 3/4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the HRC! I can't recommend the group enough.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well