Skip to main content

Baby Steps

Last week was my birthday. Now 34, nothing has changed. I’m still me. I’ve never put much weight into the age (I mean, once you get past 21 what’s to look forward to?) but the date is what I focus on. My birthday is almost exactly the halfway point of the year, June 30. It’s a good time to evaluate where I am on my goals for the year and refocus.

I’ve totally lost my perspective recently, spooking myself out of success and resting on my laurels. I let myself talk myself into “deserving” splurges. I grab something “easy” on the way home from work for dinner. And Starbucks is directly on my way to work so that’s been a daily stop…

Originally, I was trying to get refocused in June. Take the baby steps to get back on track. Of course, I fell into the “okay, this is the last time” trap every time I was tired and wanted pizza. I did manage to only eat the lunches that I packed for myself at work…. No popping out for fast food and a soda.

That’s one baby step I managed.

When it came to my birthday day I had to work. So, the night before I was going to do dinner with the hubby to celebrate. Then, his aunt reached out wanting to see our new house and Friday—the planned dinner date night—was the only time we could see them. So, Friday was spent getting the house ready for guests and then entertaining. Saturday, I had to work and Sunday…. Sunday was a frustration.

I got up at 8 on Sunday, my day off, to take Scout-the-dog to the vet. Dropped him off and went to the grocery store, got home and mowed the lawn. As I was finishing the lawn, the vet called that Scout was ready to come home. I drove back to the vet, picked up Scout and got in the car to head home.

The rest of the day was supposed to be my relaxing day. I was going to start Stargate Universe Season Two for the GateWorld articles. I was going to meal prep. I was going to take a nap.

But the car wouldn’t start.

I called my husband, who was getting ready for work, to come to give us a jump.

But the battery wouldn’t take a charge. We spent twenty minutes trying to get it to jump. A random stranger stopped with better quality cables and tried to help. Nothing worked.

I dropped hubby off at work, drove home and tried to figure this out. It’s a Sunday so everything is closed. I can’t find my AAA card, so I call my parents to see if it came to it, if one of them would be able to wait for a tow truck with me.

Being parents, instead of saying “Sure, we can come by” they hopped in their car and drove over. My dad insisted on checking it out for himself and we went back to the parking lot and I did it all over again. By now it’s nearly 6 pm and I’ve been trying to get my car to start all day. And all for naught. I called in to work to tell them I wouldn’t make it in today.

So, this morning I got up at 7, called the local garage to make sure I could have the tow truck bring my car there today, called a tow truck, and hauled off to meet the driver.

Except, I forgot the keys to my car. So, this poor driver wasted his time coming to help me.

I had to go back home, get the key and set up another tow.

By 10, the second tow truck met me and made short work of getting my car on his truck.

I’ve been stuck here at the house all day in wait mode. I’ve been sitting by the phone, trying not to start anything I can’t stop mid-stream, so I can go get my car when/if it’s ready.

Good news, though, I made a couple of baby steps. Instead of saying ‘Oh, well’ and ordering pizza, I made food here at home. When the garage called to say my car was ready, I laced up my sneakers and I walked to pick it up.

It was only a mile, but I could have requested a ride from their courtesy car. I could have asked my hubby to dash home quick to pick me up. I could have called an Uber. But I walked.

I didn’t stop at Walmart for pizza, or candy, or a treat. I came straight home.

I’m feeling pretty good. I dealt with a two-day long distraction and still managed a few baby steps in the right direction.

I’ll take it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well