Skip to main content

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in.

Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated.

Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well- grocery shopping, vacuuming, and putting away the clean laundry that's been on drying racks for over a week.

Something else I've done is read weeks three of four in "Organize Now."

Week three is all about the first steps of true organization: centralize your schedule in one place, prioritize your to-dos, and pre-scheduling appointments.  Most of the steps were easy to do, but pre-scheduling appointments for the year is a non-starter for me.  Working retail with a non-regular schedule makes it practically impossible.  So, instead of getting everything book I made a list of needed appointments and their timeframe. JackJack needs to go to the vet in April and I need to go to the eye doctor in February.  This way when I have my work schedule I can make the appointments accordingly.

Week four is about cleaning schedule. It encourages chore charts, assigning tasks to family members, and cleaning every day. One thing you will never get me to do is make my bed every day. Not happening. It's an unnecessary thing to add to the list in my opinion. I can get into the idea of doing a quick sweep every night to get things into the room they belong in. Also- steam cleaning my carpet and upholstery only once a year is laughable.  I have a dog.  I need to that at least every two to three months!
I'm finidng some parts of Jennifer Ford Berry's advice a bit presumumptious. She assumes you have a traditional family and schedule.  It's just me and my husband, we don't need a chore chart. And neither one of us works on a traditional schedule so a full year of pre-planning is not something we can really do.  While my husband works a set schedule we only know his on-call schedule about three months in advance and those are two weeks a month we have to stay within a 30 minute drive of his work.  I don't have a set schedule.  Heck, if things go according to plan I'm going to be at a completely different location in six months.

What I'm doing is taking the bits of her advice that are relevant to me and using them and ignoring the rest. She has sections in every week for what to do every weekly, every three to six months and once a  year.  It's not universal.  But it's helpful.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Kickboxing Class Number 1 Review

Last night was my first kickboxing class at my local ilovekickboxing.com studio. My legs hurt today in all the best ways. I adored class and you better believe I signed up for a one-year membership before I left the studio. The one downside is the price of membership and how the company tends to keep it under wraps for the most part. When I sighed up for their internet special (5 Classes for $19.99 plus a pair of boxing gloves) I started scouting their website to check membership pricing. They are up front about the “After your first class we’ll show you how to save $100 on membership!”- so you know after class it’s time for the hard sell, but it’s not advertised on their website what you’re saving $100 on. I did some digging and googling and found the structure of membership. Being armed with that info when I went in and having time to discuss the membership costs with my husband beforehand, I was comfortable with the hard sell approach and there was no sticker shock. Here’