Skip to main content

Stress Week- But Focus on the Silver Lining

This week has been insanely frustrating and hectic.

WEDNESDAY

It started out perfect with a nice kickboxing class. It was practically a private lesson there was just me and one other person in the class. It was like my first lesson with lots of personal attention. It was a great workout and I felt awesome afterwards. Then, I got in my car and it wouldn’t start. It wasn’t even trying to turn over. I just got the battery and the battery cables replaced and I was hoping it was the starter. When I got it to start I drove it straight to the mechanic.

We were a little freaked out about the millions of things that could be wrong and the thousands of dollars it could cost so we cancelled our planned trip to Costco and just hung out at home and watched Iron Fist season 2 (which is so much better than season 1, by the way).

Meanwhile, our yard is insanely overgrown, and I’ve been messaging our lawn service without getting responses. At this point in our lawn saga, we’ve hired a lawn service for every other week appointments. It’s been a month and they’ve come once. They did a great job when they did come. And there has been an insane amount of rain the last couple of weeks so it’s not unreasonable that they were late coming back. But I have to text the owner two or three times just to get him to acknowledge me.

We go to bed not knowing about my car or our lawn.

THURSDAY

We find out that the battery diagnostic didn’t show any problems so they’re going to do a diagnostic on the electrical system. Later in the day I get the news, it’s the electrical and my front breaks are at less than 5% (which, to be honest, I’d been putting off getting my breaks fixed for over a year because of the cost), and several fluids need to be replaced and all said and done it’ll be just over $1,100. We bite the bullet and say fix it all because at this point we don’t have much of a choice. They say they’ll get the car done tomorrow.

Still no word from the lawn service. The dog is now peeing on the couch in protest because he doesn’t want to go bushwhacking just to go to the bathroom. Can’t really blame him.

FRIDAY

Husband drives me to work and picks me up. I’m on day three of my new position so I’m still trying to figure out the new location, how it flows, the people and all the little nuances. While at work I get a voicemail that my car is done. I can’t get back to them but plan to pick up the car on Saturday.

Still, no word from the lawn service and we are getting more and more pissed. We’ve decided that we’re most likely going to just buy a mower ourselves as we should have in the first place. When we first bought the house, we budgeted for a lawn mower. We bought one and a good friend offered us theirs for free. At the time we debated it, but in the end, returned the mower and accepted the friend’s offer.

The gifted mower has been sitting in their garage for over a year and we were told it’d need some work. We changed the oil and drained the old gas. At first, we over filled the oil and the thing smoked like nonother. Then when we got the oil level right our grass was so thick it kept clogging. Then it wouldn’t start. We watched a few YouTube videos and figured out the most likely thing wrong with it. It seemed like a simple fix.

At first, we didn’t have the right size socket for our wrench set. So, we just bought a starter set that had the right size. But neither one of us had the mechanical skill to fix the issue. We’re both handy so we thought between the two of us we could manage, but…. No. We failed.

Our lawn was so crazy by this point I looked around, read some reviews, and found our lawn service that sucks…. Like I said. The lawn is a saga.

So, Friday night we decide to pick up my car in the morning and then go get a lawn mower if we don’t hear from the lawn people by Saturday night.

SATURDAY

We get up early to go get my car.

The mechanics are closed Saturday and Sunday.

Husband has been off the last few days so him driving me to work isn’t that big of a deal. However, he’s working Sunday, as am I. He works nights and I work a bit of everything, and Sunday is not going to work out logistically. Now we’re roping in his brother to pick me up from work on Sunday and Husband will drop me off.
Meantime, I’m on day four of my new job as entry level management and I’ve been tossed into the deep end. That’s an understatement. They put me in a helicopter, flew me out over the Atlantic, and pushed me out. I’m not in over my head, but I’m just doggy paddling at this point. But- because of how things are falling with everyone else’s schedules, I’m going to be the closing manager on Sunday. And I’m nervous as hell.

I watch one Shift Leader close on Friday. I kind of follow him around and take notes. On Saturday I try to close, and a different Shift Leader follows me around to help me with questions. None of this is technically formal training. It really is just a monkey-see monkey-do kind of winging it.

It takes an additional half hour for me to get the safe to balance, even with help.

But, we did it.

Still no word from the lawn service.

SUNDAY

It’s my first go at closing and I’m nervous as hell and everything with the lawn and the car is really frying my nerves.

Since my car is at the mechanic’s and bro-in-law is going to pick me up from work I need to get in through our front door. I never really use my front door, so I went around to make sure that I had the right key on my key ring and I find a notice from the city yelling at us about our lawn. We have until Wednesday to get it addressed or else they’d take care of it and bill us.

Now I’m pissed at our lawn service. I send them a message letting them know about the notice and asking if they’re going to be around any time soon. I get a promise they’ll be here “tomorrow”.

My closing shift goes pretty well. A shift leader is kind enough to come in at the end of the day and shadow me again. This time it only takes me fifteen extra minutes to balance the safe.

MONDAY

We got up early, went to the mechanic’s got my car, the bill for which came in at just under a grand so that was a nice twist. We went straight to buy a lawn mower, brought it home and got it all set up just in case we had to mow the lawn the next day.

Work was the most Monday Monday at ever was a Monday. I’ve got nothing to say other than that. I made a ton of little, dumb, mistakes. My math was refusing to brain. I just couldn’t function. Luckily, I wasn’t the closing manager so there was someone else there the entire time. One thing I love about my store is everyone has a great sense of humor so we I somehow managed to go on my lunch break three hours early 1) no one noticed and 2) when I realized and told them how dumb I am they all laughed it off. (I told you it was the Monday-est Monday ever).

And when I got home…. the lawn had not been mowed.

I sent a message to our lawn service firing them and, shock of shocks, haven’t heard back.

TODAY

Today Husband and I got up early (before he had to get ready for work) and got the damn lawn mowed. Our new mower cut through the jungle like a champ. By 11:00 I had mowed and edged the lawn, done the grocery shopping, done the meal prepping, cleaned a good chunk of the garage, and taken a shower.

I’m exhausted.

Everything worked out in the end.

And the only real silver lining?

I did not stress eat at all this week! I wanted to so badly. But, I pulled out my journal and wrote about it all. I put on paper that I was not going to order a pizza. I was not going to run by the grab something from the store (on the one day I had a car). I didn’t drink the beer we had at home. I ate salads, sandwiches, fruits, and veggies. When I went to lunch from work I went to Smoothie King, kept my order to a 20 oz. and got a lemon ginger spinach smoothie.

I managed to make good choices despite so many stressors getting at me. I’m excited about that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well