Skip to main content

2019- The Year of Self Care


A little over 23 days ago most people were making their New Years Resolutions.  I was knee deep in a small journey in self-realization that involved a lot of research and confusion.

I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, a form of depression that is greatly affective by the seasons.  Because of this new news in my life, I decided not to make traditional resolutions this year.  I’m not setting firm, hard goals that will most likely be abandoned before February is over.  I’m not setting myself up to be disappointed next December when I don’t radically change my life in ways that I’ve been trying- and failing- to change for decades. 

This year I’m going on a more spiritual path.

2019 will be my year of Self Care.

I’m not going to hide behind helping others, putting myself third, fourth, or fifth in the line of priority. I’m putting myself first and, when needed, second but never less than second this year.

Being supportive of the mental health needs of those around me has been a priority of mine for most of my life.  I grew up in a house hold that benefited greatly from the discovery of mental health care and medication.  That made me open and understanding to friends who benefited from mental health care, and I formed life long bonds that I place a high value on.

But, my focus on supporting others helped distract me from my own challenges. I think for quite a while I have been aware of my depressive times, but because they’re not “as bad” (whatever that means) as those around me that it wasn’t as important.

Thanks to my personal friends being open about their struggles and celebrities like Wil Wheaton and Mara Wilson being so open, I have come to notice and accept what I have always just brushed under the rug.

This year I am going to concentrate on self-care and self-acceptance.

January has been a big mental game. There’s been research, discussion with my husband, and implementing small changes.

I’m still making a point to get direct sunlight when I can.  Eating hasn’t been much of a priority for me the last couple weeks.  I’ve been swinging back and forth between not really eating and indulging in cravings, but when I have the energy to, I’ve been eating fresh fruits.  When the weather allows, I’ve been getting fresh air into the house (which Scout-the-dog really likes).

I’ve found myself being more productive the last couple of weeks that I had been over the last couple of months.  I’m not trying to do everything, but just concentrating on the essentials.  Laundry and the dishes have been my main priorities. Past that everything is a bonus.

February I’m going to try to get to the gym once a week.  That’s the only thing I’m going to try to add. I have a bad habit of trying to do too much too fast and burning myself out.

Small steps.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well