Skip to main content

Seasonal Affective Disorder Summer Upswing

www.thenorthernlight.org



I’m not sure what to do with myself. Things are going well.

Now that the seasons have changed, I’m sleeping better, I have more energy, and I’m getting shit done.  It feels so good to be out of the slump that zapped my energy, made me want to sleep all day and stole all my motivation.

#AbsForApril coincided nicely, helping provide motivation to get to the gym.  Of course, working out – in turn- provides the endorphins to keep me up and running and it turns into an awesome cycle of good moods.

At the start of May, I took a week off work and the gym and reset myself, getting rid of to-do lists and goals and obligations. I watched TV mostly, snuggled with Scout-the-Dog and got caught up on being lazy.  Unlike my usual self, after my vacation, I hit the gym running and am still going strong showing up for class regularly without my husband having to kick me out of bed.

It’s amazing how a simple change in the weather can bring about such a huge change in my outlook and attitude. I wish I had known more about this years ago- I can’t even imagine the coping mechanisms I would have developed by now.

I’m taking advantage of my “up” time and doing some research into what I can do to help myself going into the “down” time next year. Right now, I’m doing this the DIY way, but I am open to seeking professional help if I need it.

Depression is a weird thing, socially we are speaking more openly about it, but we still have an image of what depression looks like.  Depression is someone laying in bed in a dark room, probably crying, unable to get up and ‘just do it.’ Depression is angry outburst and mood swings.  For some people, that is how their depression manifests itself. That is their reality.

As someone whose depression manifests in more mild-appearing ways, it's hard to feel like I have a right to talk about it and use the word to describe what I’m working with. I struggle with not throwing in qualifying words to downplay what its like to…. I don’t know…. Defer? To people whose depression symptoms are more disruptive to their everyday life.

The truth is, my depression isn’t nearly as disruptive as some people’s.  I have friends whose symptoms present much more visibly than mine.  But just because you can’t see an illness doesn’t mean it's not there.  Just because someone has it worse, doesn’t mean that you can’t acknowledge what I’m working with.

And, frankly, the high I’m flying on right now is a symptom of my depression. I’m working with it and trying to channel my energy and positivity in a good direction.  I have the energy to get my workouts in- which can help. I have the weather to get out into the sun- which can help. And I have an entire bookstore at my disposal to get my research going.

Hopefully, by the time the fall and winter months move into Texas, I’ll have some shiny new coping mechanisms to help me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well