Skip to main content

Trying something


I’ve been feeling very overwhelmed and overrun these days. There’s the typical holiday season nonsense happening, some exciting stuff, and some this-is-what-happens-as-you-get-older stuff.  A couple of things will pass with time (hosting two separate family get-togethers back to back), some of it will come with time (my father-in-law moving in), some of it is unavoidable (12-year-old cars just have issues), and one thing has the potential to start me down a path I’ve always wanted to be on (a publisher accepting a book proposal).


Overwhelmed doesn’t have to be because of negative things.


Overall what it’s boiling down to is I’m feeling out of control.


So, naturally, I’m taking steps to get myself feeling more in control.


I’m a To-Do List veteran, and over the years have perfected my system. Do I always get everything done? Nope. But it helps me keep track of things.


Keeping on top of the must-be-done items is something I’ve gotten pretty good at. I very rarely hit an “Oh shit!” and forget to do something.  


But, despite all that I’m still feeling like life is more than I can fully grasp right now.


The first thing I did was take an annual event off my list and I am not doing NaNoWriMo this year. Usually, I’m typing away obsessively doing everything I can to get that word count.  I enjoy the challenge and typically look forward to the tradition. As a matter of fact, last year I made a special NaNoWriMo display at the bookstore I work at.  This year, I’m taking that energy and focusing it on getting ready for double Christmas.


Speaking of work, while pricing some merchandise last week I came across a book that grabbed my attention and gave me an idea. It’s called Organize now! By Jennifer Ford Berry.  It bills itself as “A week-by-week guide to simplify your space and your life.”  Which, is exactly what I feel like I need. It was one of those the-heavens-open-up-and-angels-sing moments.


The book is separated into 56 to-do-lists and suggestions, covering a 56-week plan to get things done and under control.  I like the simplicity and long term goal.  Will I trying cover one list a week every week for 56 weeks? Probably not. I know me. I’ll have a hectic week or a depressive episode.  But it’ll be easy to pick up where I left off.


I’ve made myself goal of completing the book by my birthday in 2021 and I started this week.

The first week (and it looks like the first several weeks) is more reflective exercises and intended to get you to reflect on what you really want and what you want to accomplish. Then, I’m guessing based on my perusing through the book, as you move forward you keep those goals and priorities in mind.


The first questions I was asked were if you could do anything….

Where would you live? -Somewhere urban

What would you do to earn income? -Write

What would your days look like? -Relaxed and unstructured

What would you do for fun? – Run

What would you do more of?- Downtime

What would you do less of? – Cleaning





And then, IMHO most importantly, what do I want to accomplish within the next 56 weeks?  I went with three goals: to get promoted to Assistant Manager, get one book published, and lose weight (I should probably come up with a specific amount.)



The rest of the week’s exercise was a list of suggestions on small changes I can start to make now to work towards those goals and center myself.  One suggestion was to-do lists (check check check) and another was to start a journal. I know I won’t write in a journal every day. I did back in college, but as of right now I don’t feel like I have the mental capacity of focusing on it.  I did, however, see that suggestion as a way to get me back into this blog.


I have no delusions of this blog becoming some sort of money maker or life-changing exercise- but maybe everyone now and again this blog will be exactly what someone needs to read in order to move forward in something themselves.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Kickboxing Class Number 1 Review

Last night was my first kickboxing class at my local ilovekickboxing.com studio. My legs hurt today in all the best ways. I adored class and you better believe I signed up for a one-year membership before I left the studio. The one downside is the price of membership and how the company tends to keep it under wraps for the most part. When I sighed up for their internet special (5 Classes for $19.99 plus a pair of boxing gloves) I started scouting their website to check membership pricing. They are up front about the “After your first class we’ll show you how to save $100 on membership!”- so you know after class it’s time for the hard sell, but it’s not advertised on their website what you’re saving $100 on. I did some digging and googling and found the structure of membership. Being armed with that info when I went in and having time to discuss the membership costs with my husband beforehand, I was comfortable with the hard sell approach and there was no sticker shock. Here’