Skip to main content

Update


I have been feeling so overwhelmed for the last few months. So much has been going on, most of it out of my control, and I’ve just retreated into Netflix to cope.


Three months ago, my husband and I had to put Scout-the-dog to sleep. He very suddenly started having neurological issues.  At first, a round of meds took care of it.  Then the symptoms came back, stronger and within 24 hours we had to make the decision. I am very grateful both I and my husband were able to be there with Scout-the-dog in his final moments. We’d only had him for about four years, but he was our first shared pet, both of our first dog, and he was a very important member of our pack.


Much sooner than we expected, the universe put another dog in our path. We met our neighbor’s foster dog JackJack. We both instantly fell in love and a month later we welcomed him into our pack. Scout-the-dog was an elderly and sick dog when we got him.  We made him as comfortable as we could while we had him.  But he was more cat than a dog. He just wanted to be held and loved.

JackJack is all dog and still a bit of a puppy. We were told he was 1-2 years old when we got him, but now that we’ve had him for almost two months, I can tell you this guy is way closer to 1 than 2. As we speak, he is having an epic battle with a piece of cardboard and having the time of his little life.

Switching from a complacent old man dog to a practical puppy definitely has its learning curve. Nothing is safe: not books, not shoes, not napkins, not coasters, not even carpet. He’s in a weekly training class, but the stress and 6 am wake up calls have put us through a few new-parent-meltdowns. We adore JackJack- as a matter of fact, his stocking is already hung by the chimney with care and his special Christmas Tree ornament has already been purchased- but he’s more work than we were prepared for.


On top of our new pack member, I also sent out my first two professional book queries. I honestly was expecting two rejections. As an aspiring writer, I know rejections are a huge part of the industry. But- here’s the crazy part- I got ONE rejection and ONE acceptance!


First time out of the gate!


I was contacted by another writer who had a Stargate SG-1 book idea. At first, he just wanted to run ideas and questions by me (he found me because of my work on GateWorld) and that spiraled into an offer to co-write the novel. After we submitted our co-written idea, I also submitted my solo pitch. My solo was rejected, but the co-written one got accepted.


The truth is, I’m really proud of my rejection. The publisher sent me a very detailed response with lots of praise for my work. Basically, what it boiled down to was there wasn’t enough conflict. It wasn’t what they were looking for. BUT- they liked my prose and my dialogue and complimented my characterization.  They also left the door open for me to resubmit. I’m sure this will be one of the kindest rejections I ever receive.


Moreover, because of my husband’s work schedule, we are hosting Christmas Eve for his family and Christmas Day for mine this year. I am already knee-deep in preparation. We’re slowly decorating the house- yes, it’s not even Thanksgiving and we’re already started. With JackJack being so young and inclined to distraction- we’re slowly introducing him to having a tree inside the house for the next two months.  


We’re about to have our house crammed full of 12 people and 4 kids for Christmas Eve. Since we don’t have any kids, we don’t have a lot around for them to do, so we’re trying to plan to keep them entertained. We got the stuff to make Gingerbread Houses, play soccer, and make s’mores if the weather is nice and we’re setting up our media room with Disney+ and video games if the weather is bad. Luckily, catering is the traditional meal for Christmas Eve.


Christmas Day, however, will be a bit more cooking intensive. Our traditional meal is lasagna (no- we’re not Italian) and since my family is driving all the way out here to us, we’re doing the cooking. Two lasagnas (one meat, one vegetarian), dessert, salad, bread, and mulled wine for Christmas day- after hosting the night before.


And then, of course, there’s work. It’s the busiest time of year for retail so we’re off to the races already there. And we’re short-staffed (two full-time workers are on leave). Plus, three members of the staff we do have are still in training so that eats up a lot of my time which means there’s never enough hours in the day and we can’t do overtime. I will say, at least I work somewhere with no extended hours for the holidays (including Black Friday). Hell, we’re even closing early one night so everyone can go to the company Christmas Party. How many retail places do that?


Did I mention that my father-in-law may be moving in with us soon? This means we have to clean out what is currently our storage room, fix the guest bathroom shower, and just get prepared to have a third person living in our house.


The To-Do Lists are plentiful, and time is not.


Merry Christmas, I guess?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Kickboxing Class Number 1 Review

Last night was my first kickboxing class at my local ilovekickboxing.com studio. My legs hurt today in all the best ways. I adored class and you better believe I signed up for a one-year membership before I left the studio. The one downside is the price of membership and how the company tends to keep it under wraps for the most part. When I sighed up for their internet special (5 Classes for $19.99 plus a pair of boxing gloves) I started scouting their website to check membership pricing. They are up front about the “After your first class we’ll show you how to save $100 on membership!”- so you know after class it’s time for the hard sell, but it’s not advertised on their website what you’re saving $100 on. I did some digging and googling and found the structure of membership. Being armed with that info when I went in and having time to discuss the membership costs with my husband beforehand, I was comfortable with the hard sell approach and there was no sticker shock. Here’