Skip to main content

A deal is a deal


If you follow me on twitter (@fatnerdfit)you already know this, but I made good on my deal with the internet and got my butt to the gym today. It was my first visit to this location of the chain I'm a member of (and by member I mean I pay every month and then don't ever go) so I kept my glasses on so I could actually see what was going on while I did my thing. I found the locker room no problem and made sure to check out the showers and sauna for future visits then hit the floor.

Man is my butt out of shape.

I started out on the stationary bike. I chose the upright one, not the fully seated one, because I'm curious about trying a cycling class. I did two miles and my quads were throbbing. I did have it on level 7, but I'm making no excuses.

After the bike I did 100 crunches on a crunch machine of sorts. It gives you a rung to drape your legs over so you can't use your quads to help you, which was awesome. I did have to mess with my form a bit to keep myself from using the arm rests to push myself into a crunch instead of letting my abs do the work. I did my 100 in two sets of 50 with a forty second break in between sets.

After that I found the row machines, which were not the apparently old school version I was used to. This one doesn't engage your legs at all and you basically sit in a backwards chair and pull the handles. I made sure to set the machine as accurately as I could for my height and did 5 sets of 10 on both my lats and delts at 30 lbs making sure that I was feeling the right muscles doing the work.

For a cool down, because I am seriously out of shape and lack focus, I jumped on a elliptical for a quick five minutes.

Things I learned today:

1) I am way more out of shape than I allowed myself to realize
2) I lack any sort of focus when left to my own devices at a gym and I get bored
3) I should try a group class to see if I can get myself to push more because on my own I don't.
4) If I promise a bunch of strangers on the internet I'm gonna go to the gym, I go.

All in all I count this as a win and a good start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night...

Apple Cider Vinegar- Week 1

I did not go into this ACV experiment looking for a miracle drink. I was hoping for something to help me on my journey. There's not a big difference to report, but it's only been one week. I've also gotten my butt in gear in other aspects so I can't give ACV the sole credit for what I've found, but it very well may be part of it. Here's this week's break down. The routine: 1Tbs ACV, 1 Tbs lemon juice, generous squirt of honey and 12 oz water drunk twice daily. It's the first thing I drink when I wake up and I drink a second glass right after dinner. 1- Weight loss of one pound. That's more than I've managed to drop in a single week for a month now, so that's good. 2- Noticeable reduction of mucus. I'm that nerdy Daniel Jackson type who is always sneezing and blowing my nose.... not this week! I've had these types of results with lemon juice before so I'm 99% sure this is due to the drink. 3- Noticeable lack of craving...

Blogtober #1: All About Me

Blogtober #1 I’m going to give this Blogtober thing a chance. I’ve never done anything like this, but- as I stated in my last post- I’m trying to get a new routine going. Part of what I want to do is write more consistently, so Blogtober is a great place to start! This is a challenge issued by Mandi Morrison over at hexmumblog.com . She has compiled a list of topics, one for each day of October, and the point is to blog every day using the topic as a prompt. Day One: All About Me I always feel like there’s not a whole lot to say on this topic. I don’t really know why, but I always get uncomfortable when people want me to talk about me. I know that sounds counter-intuitive when I’m here writing a blog about myself, but the anonymity of the internet helps. I can think of two people in my real life that even know this blog exists. One I know for sure doesn’t read it and one I’m not sure. For some reason knowing that people I know may read this makes it harder for me to write ...