Skip to main content

Plantar Fasciitis and Regerts

After a crazy holiday season logging overtime on my feet at the store I developed Plantar Fasciitis. To quote the Mayo Clinic "Plantar fasciitis (PLAN-tur fas-e-I-tis) is one of the most common causes of heel pain. It involves inflammation of a thick band of tissue that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes (plantar fascia). Plantar fasciitis commonly causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your first steps in the morning. As you get up and move more, the pain normally decreases, but it might return after long periods of standing or after rising from sitting."

It was most likely caused, in my case, from prolonged standing at work and wearing old shoes. Like when it happened last time, when I get up in the morning I hobble like an old person and it takes about half an hour of old person hobbling to work my way back to a normal stride. It sucks, it hurts like hell, and I had to keep going to work and being on my feet for ten hours at a go. When Christmas came around I had two days off of work, but was still busy with family obligations and wasn't able to be off my feet as much as I needed to.

One of the best ways to treat PF is rest, stretching, rest, and staying off your feet as much as possible. Last week I got a good stretch of days off in a row, time to get to the store, and time to rest. I grabbed some Dr. Scholl's heel inserts designed for PF, and the relief was nearly instant. I kept off my feet as much as possible (I was exhausted so I welcomed the sleep and vegging) and over the course of three days worked down from ridiculous pain, to horrible pain, to uncomfortable, and finally to aching. It was glorious. My heels still hurt every morning, but by the time I made it to the kitchen I was able to walk normally.

Several people in one of my Facebook running groups recommended rolling as another form of relief. Luckily my dog has no idea how to play with the toys he got for Christmas so I have re-purposed his new fetch balls as massage rollers for me. I've never tried rolling and man do I feel like a fool for not giving it a try before! I'm not sure how I'd roll out larger muscle groups, but hot damn my feet felt better after. Between the rest, the inserts, and the rolling I'd made my way down the pain-scale to aching.

Then, winter showed up in DFW. There was snow. There was ice. There was work. I grabbed my snow boots (really more for warmth and traction on ice than traipsing through snow, it was just a light dusting) and off to work I went.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

So now here I am, with a grand PF flair up and "regerts". I'm back to rest and rolling and I'm kicking myself because I had grand plans to hit the gym while hubby was at work and either do a group class or at least get in a run on a treadmill since it's cold outside and I'm a weak Texan who can't take just below freezing temperatures. I've got several days off and I'm going to do it right.

I've rolled twice already today. I've got supportive shoes on. I've got the recline couch all reclined, iced tea in hand, doggy snoring next to me, BBC shows queued up on Netflix, and I have a goal of being healed up in time for Zumba on Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well