Skip to main content

Turns out, I'm Sara-the-tool-girl Kehoe!

This weekend has been full of Achievement Unlocked level adulting. We officially have possession of the house and have spent the last two days working away at getting it ready to move in. Turns out, I’m a do-it-yourself type of person. This weekend I learned, on the fly, how to:

1) Patch holes in drywall
2) Change the locks and handles on a door
3) Paint an entire house interior
4) Re-grout a shower

We are still in progress on the painting, but danged if I didn’t just waltz into Home Depot ready to get shit done.

The satisfaction of looking at something and saying “I did that” really fueled me all weekend. Getting your hands dirty and fixing up your own house is very rewarding. Sure, I could have called a locksmith to rekey the house for $75…. Or for $83 I could not only rekey the doors but change out those horrible doorknobs no appointment needed! (Time was a bit of a factor the previous owners left the final key “under the trash can” and we never found it.)

Turns out, if you give me a screwdriver I will mess around with stuff until I can get it to work. I installed new door handles and deadbolts on the front and back doors. I felt pretty awesome sitting on the floor surrounding by neat piles of old deadbolt and new deadbolt with an electric screwdriver in my hand.

When I looked at the holes in the wall, I hit up Homedepot.com, watched a couple videos and fixed them myself. We were not expecting an 8x14in hole in the wall when we moved it, but there it was in the middle of the living room wall. Turns out the previous owners, when they mounted their TV, had cut several holes in the wall so they could run the cables without having to look at them. Honestly, from an aesthetic prospective what they did made sense. It just sucked to walk into your first-ever-I-own-this-shit living room and see holes in your drywall. But never fear, because I took care of that! A few adhesive patches, some putty, and a fresh coat of paint and you wouldn’t notice it.

Those terrible colors in every room in the house? (Almost) handled. The previous owners liked a liberal splash of color and ever room in the house was at least two different colors. Another trip to Home Depot and a liberal coat of high quality paint and the kitchen, living room, entry hall, hallway and guest bathroom are a nice new simple color. A good friend, a professional site manager for a contacting company, gave us some great advice:

You can buy two gallons of the cheaper stuff or one gallon of the good stuff. Guess which way saves you time and money?

When we were at the store we took our time to look at our options and not go solely on price. (Get me in a grocery store and I will compare prices down to the price-per-unit level and go with the cheaper option 97% of the time.) We went with the brand that swore it could cover any color in one coat and, while some rooms required a coat and a half, are very glad we decided to pay a bit more for our paint.

Re-grouting a shower? Cakewalk. If you can ice a cake, you can grout a shower.

Today my parents came to see the house for the first time. They really liked it and helped us brainstorm ideas for fixing the place up. As my dad put it, the house “has great bones” and we can really make it our own.

Friday we are having our refrigerator delivered so we will have cold drinks for our friends when they come over for a Paint Party Saturday morning.

“Nothing says grown-up like begging your friends to help you paint your new house! We supply the food and drinks, you provide the manual labor? Sound like a deal? Drop in when you can, leave when you have better things to do on a Saturday.

See what our place looks like before our amazing friends help us make it look awesome! (Proper house warming party will come in the future.)

The more the merrier, so bring along some other sucker (I mean, helpful person who is also super good looking) to lend a hand and you get +100 friendship points!”

Up next: a trip to Ikea for some shelving and set up a date with the movers.

Next DIY project: finish painting and clean the carpets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well