Skip to main content

Blogtober #1: All About Me

Blogtober #1

I’m going to give this Blogtober thing a chance. I’ve never done anything like this, but- as I stated in my last post- I’m trying to get a new routine going. Part of what I want to do is write more consistently, so Blogtober is a great place to start!
This is a challenge issued by Mandi Morrison over at hexmumblog.com. She has compiled a list of topics, one for each day of October, and the point is to blog every day using the topic as a prompt.

Day One: All About Me

I always feel like there’s not a whole lot to say on this topic. I don’t really know why, but I always get uncomfortable when people want me to talk about me. I know that sounds counter-intuitive when I’m here writing a blog about myself, but the anonymity of the internet helps. I can think of two people in my real life that even know this blog exists. One I know for sure doesn’t read it and one I’m not sure. For some reason knowing that people I know may read this makes it harder for me to write it. I don’t say anything on here that I wouldn’t say in person in real life, but it still makes me feel weird to think they may read it.
But, I have taken on Blogtober so here we go.

I am a 33-year-old woman who has lived in Texas since she was 4. I have a bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing from the University of Houston. I have been married for three years, no kids, one dog. I have three nieces and one honorary niece ages 2-9. I work full-time at a used bookstore and pick up the random shift at ThinkGeek.

I enjoy comic book movies, sci-fi shows, will watch Hallmark Christmas movies any time of the year, and still watch Disney Channel on the regular. I like to read young adult novels and usually polish off three books a month. Music wise I like 80s pop/rock, 90s pop, and punk. My favorite bands are The Who, Bowling for Soup, Flogging Molly, Miley Cyrus, and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

I am working very hard at losing weight and getting healthy. I used to be a runner, but can’t quite seem to get my running feet back under me. To that end, I have joined the Hogwarts Running Club and so far this year I have completed five of the seven races and am starting the next two races tonight. Having the medals hanging on my wall really motivates me to tie up my sneakers and rack up the miles. When I started my new job eight weeks ago I really fell off the exercise bandwagon and am hoping to get back to where I was earlier this year.

Ultimately, I want to be a writer. I am under no delusion that I will ever make enough writing to not need a real-world job, but I would love to see my book on the shelf at the bookstore. Blogging, for me, is a way to keep working on my writing voice and I’m hoping to use Blogtober to warm up for National Novel Writing Month in November. I also write fanfiction and have for years. Fanfiction is actually how I started writing. When I was in junior high and had never heard the word fanfiction my best friend and I used to write stories to entertain each other on the school bus. Eventually, I discovered the internet and fanfiction.net and started publishing my stuff for others to read. The positive reviews I got really fueled my desire to be a writer and that is why I got a Creative Writing degree. I got some great feedback from my professors and peers at university and I have several partial novels sitting on hard drives waiting to be finished.
Real life got in the way and I lost the time, motivation, and ideas to keep writing when I moved out into the real world. I recently got back into fanfiction and have started posting again. I find fanfiction as a side-hustle, as it were, really helps with writing the original stuff. Now it’s just a matter of buckling down and making it a priority. Just like with my health.

October is going to be my month of Health and Writing. Those two bandwagons are my happy place and I can’t wait to be there again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, a Fat Nerd steps onto a scale...

I done did it, y'all. I got my scale out this morning. I can't say that I'm surprised, but I can say that I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Two hundred and freaking forty six pounds. It was a bit of a gut punch. I'm not happy. I know that I have lost weight since our move. I can see it in the mirror. I can tell by the way my clothes fit. But, as it stands this morning I have an official number. 246 Gross. Have I been heavier? Yes. Earlier this year. Have I (as an adult) been lighter? Yes... also earlier this year. Was I heavier when I got my ass in gear a few months ago? Yes. Can I do better? Also, yes. Am I going to be better? HELL YES!!! It's easy to pick a start date that is "later." You screw up on your new diet on Wednesday and decide to start over on Monday, or the first of the month, or the first of the year. Well, guess what? The first of the year is tomorrow. I'm not giving myself "one last night&

Offically Looking into 2018

The new year is fast approaching and I, like most of the world, am looking for what is to come and looking back one what has been accomplished. When I look back at 2017 all in all I am happy with what was accomplished. -- I went from a job that I really liked that didn't pay the bills to a job that I love that does pay the bills. WIN -- I've lost 22.4 pounds while just half assing my efforts. WIN -- I've helped my husband get off his pre-diabetes medication and lose over 40 pounds. WIN -- I won NaNoWriMo 2017 and wrote over 50,000 words in November. WIN -- I am truly happy with where I see my future going. WIN I did not lose the 50 pounds I wanted to. I did not finish my novel. I did not make my 1000 purposeful miles. I did not get close to any of these goals that I shared on December 31, 2016. But I feel like I did achieve goal number 1 on that list. Goal number 1 was Happiness. I feel like I did that. I am happy. I feel at ease. I feel content. I feel a

Seasonal Depression Has Kicked In, But I'm Still Kickin

Seasonal depression has a way of sneaking up on you. Looking back, I can see that my depression snuck in  about two and a half/three weeks ago.  It super hard this week.  I fell into my "exhausted for no reason" pattern and that's when I realized I'd slipped in. Tbis week, having realized I was mid-depressive episode I leaned into it to a certain extent. I had a couple days were I took un-necessary naps.  I didn't beat myself up for the days I slept in.  In the mean time I've also taken measures to combat my symptoms. I've made a point of spending time outside when the sun is out. I've made sure to eat healthy foods. I've snuggled with JackJack (my dog), and just allowed myself to be lazy and unmotivated. Today was my first day off by myself in over a week so I allowed myself a bit of chill and a bit of pampering.  I gave myself a facial, did an undereye treatment, and made my favorite meal.  I'm mixing it with some productive tasks as well